The Colonial Inn is approximately 15 minutes from B&B Farms. It’s a simple farm where I love to pick Blueberries. Picking dates are June 15 to August 1st and one hour can reward you with as many as 2 gallons of Blueberries! The bugs are not bad but the heat can get to you! I would say wear a hat and bring some water.
I found these great blueberry picking tips on http://www.pickyourown.org, its a great web site all about picking fruit.
Picking tips for Blueberries:
Select plump, full blueberries with a light gray-blue color. A berry with any hint of red isn’t fully ripened. White and green colored blueberries will not ripen after they are picked; while blueberries that have already turned purple, red or blue-ish usually DO ripen after they are picked (if they are kept at room temperature to ripen).
Since blueberries hang on the bushes in bunches a bit like grapes do, the easiest and fastest way to pick them is hold your bucket under them in one hand and with your other hand, cup a ripe bunch and gently rub them with your fingers. The ripe berries will drop into your bucket, while the unripe ones will remain attached to the bush. I can easily pick 2 gallons per hour (if I’m not being distracted by the kids and the sun isn’t too hot!). A newbie might do 1 gallon per hour.
Here are some fun blueberry facts:o)
- 1 pint of fresh blueberries weights about 3/4 of a pound.
- 1 pound of fresh blueberries is about 2 and 2/3 cups of berries.
- It takes about 4 cups (about of blueberries to make a blueberry pie.
- A normal batch of blueberry preserves, jam or jelly requires 5 pints of berries.
- Once picked, don’t place the berries, still warm from the sun, in a closed bag or container. Leave the container open so moisture doesn’t form in the container.
- Don’t wash berries until just before using to prevent berries from becoming mushy.
- Chill berries soon after picking to increase shelf life. If refrigerated, fresh-picked blueberries will keep 10 to 14 days.
- Freeze berries in freezer containers without washing to keep the skins from toughening. Place berries one layer deep. Freeze, then pour the frozen berries into freezer containers. Because unwashed blueberries freeze individually, they can be easily poured from containers in desired amounts. Remember both frozen and fresh berries should be rinsed and drained in cold water just before serving.
- Blueberries are ranked No. 1 in antioxidant activity compared with 40 other commercially available fruits and vegetables. That means a serving of blueberries has more of the antioxidant power you need to fight aging, cancer and heart disease.
- Put this in your pipe! Indians in the Northwest Territory smoked wild blueberries to preserve them for the winter. (Bet you didn’t know that!)
Next time your in the area I would say make plans to visit B&B Farms on you’re way home, it will promise to be a yummy adventure!
B & B Farms – Follows organic practices, blueberries,
250 S. Mannheim Avenue, Egg Harbor, NJ 08215. Phone: 609-965-5558 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Open: Daily Monday thru Sunday, (berries and weather permitting) 8 am to 4 pm; Call first.
Do you have any great recipes or ideas on how to use some of those great fresh blueberries? Post below and share them with us!!